3 Harmful Substances in the House

AP902 Sensor Bedroom wide

Home is where people spend the majority of their time, even if much of that time is spent sleeping. Because of this, it is important to maintain a safe and healthy environment in the home. Here are three harmful substances that may be found in a house.

1. Asbestos

Asbestos is a mineral that can be found in building materials such as wall insulation, flooring, and roofing shingles. If asbestos particles are stirred around and become airborne, they can irritate and scar the tissues in the lungs, making it more difficult to breathe. Asbestos removal Saint James NY might be necessary if you are concerned with materials in your house containing this substance.

2. Mold

Mold tends to grow in damp and dark locations and can cause a myriad of health issues. Depending on the type of mold, it can irritate the skin, eyes, nose, and throat, or cause more severe health problems. Black mold is especially harmful and can even cause lasting respiratory damage and memory loss in extreme cases. Due to the nature of the locations where mold tends to thrive, mold in a home might not be discovered until residents start to show symptoms of mold exposure.

3. Lead

Lead is most commonly found in the paint of older homes built before lead paints were banned in the United States in 1978. Young children are especially at risk for the health problems caused by lead, both because they are smaller and because they are more prone to putting items like paint chips in their mouths. If you live in a house with lead paint and are unable to repaint, make sure to pick up any fallen paint chips and keep the walls and windowsills clean.

Look out for these three substances in a home that can potentially cause harm to its residents.